Re: Clocksource tsc unstable (delta = -4398046474878 ns)

On Sun, Mar 28, 2010 at 01:46:35PM +0200, Sebastian Hetze wrote:
> this message appeared in the KVM guest kern.log last night:
>
> Mar 27 22:35:30 guest kernel: [260041.559462] Clocksource tsc unstable (delta = -4398046474878 ns)
>
> The guest is running a 2.6.31-20-generic-pae ubuntu kernel with
> hrtimer-tune-hrtimer_interrupt-hang-logic.patch applied.
>
> If I understand things correct, in kernel/time/clocksource.c
> clocksource_watchdog() checks all the
> /sys/devices/system/clocksource/clocksource0/available_clocksource
> every 0.5sec for an delta of more than 0.0625s. So the tsc must have
> changed more than one hour within two subsequent calls of
> clocksource_watchdog. No event in the host nor anything in the
> guest gives reasonable cause for this step.
>
> However, the number 4398046474878 is only 36226 ns away from
> 4*1024*1024*1024*1024

  I didn't see any such messages but I've had a recent experience with
the time on one KVM host leaping *forwards* approx. 5 and 2.5 hours in
two separate incidents.  Eerily the exact jumps, as best I can tell from
logs are of 17592 and 8796 seconds, give or take a second or two.  If
you look at these as nanoseconds then that's 'exactly' 2^44 and 2^43
nanoseconds.
  What I've done that seems to have avoided this happening again is drop
KVM_CLOCK kernel option from the kvm guests' kernel.

  This is with a Debian squeeze (testing) KVM host running 2.6.33 from
vanilla sources and my own config.  The guests are Debian lenny
(stable) and were also running a 2.6.33 kernel from vanilla sources and
my own (different, to match the virtual hardware in a KVM guest) config.
Both systems/kernels are 64 bit.  The base machine is a Dell R210 with
an Intel Xeon X3450 quad-core CPU, with the hyper-threading enabled to
give 8 visible CPUs in Linux.  This only happened on one of the two
guests, the much busier one (it does shell accounts, email, IMAP/POP3, a
small news server and NFS serves web pages to the other guest which only
runs apache2 and nagios3).
  It took around 2-3 days to see the problem both times.  Without
KVM_CLOCK it's been up and stable for well over a week now.  Without
KVM_CLOCK the only clocksource is acpi_pm and thus that is being used.
I didn't test forcing that with a boot-time parameter and KVM_CLOCK
still enabled.

  Given turning KVM_CLOCK off fixed my problem and the problem repeating
itself causes all manner of trouble given how busy the machine is I'm
not really willing to test alternative fixes.

--
- Athanasius = Athanasius(at)miggy.org / http://www.miggy.org/
                  Finger athan(at)fysh.org for PGP key