Re: [RFC] GSoC 2010: Memory Compression for Virtualized Environments

On 03/27/2010 02:31 PM, Alexander Graf wrote:

> On 27.03.2010, at 08:38, Nitin Gupta wrote:

<snip>

>> So, this GSoC project aims to provide a new approach for achieving memory
>> compression that solves all above issues: cleanly hook into reclaim path
>> directly, providing both swap and pagecache compression, avoiding all block I/O
>> overhead.
>>
>> Project motivation, design and implementation details are present in this
>> document:
>> www.scribd.com/doc/28713197/Memory-Compression-for-Virtualized-Environments
>
> Very interesting project.
>
> I'm not 100% sure it's a good idea to waste CPU time on page cache compression, but then again I guess with 64-core systems coming up CPU power is a lot cheaper than I/O. You should definitely keep NUMA in mind while doing this though. The target systems for this certainly aren't single node systems ;-).

The target is certainly large scale systems. For 64-bit etc. crazy machines it might
be worth to even dedicate 1 or 2 cores for de/compression (though not necessary).
Even for desktops, 4 cores are now so common.

Then comes embedded, where other issues also come into picture -- slow random writes
on flash cards, wear-leveling issues, power to de/compress vs writing to flash etc.

I highlighted virtualization since large scale systems (and virtualization workload) are
easily justifiable for this feature :)

> Another thing that I realized while reading through this is that I'm missing the virtualization link. You do explain it in the introduction, but I certainly fail to see why this should be limited to virtualization. It'd improve swapping penalty in general.

It is not limited to virtualization case and it does improve I/O penalty in non-virtualized case too
(as shown by compcache work). I highlighted virtualization only because its looks like an important
use case and benefits of memory compression are yet to be explored in this area.

On a side note: another project proposal I'm going to submit is:
 "Virtual Co-processor: Flexible and Scalable Virtual Machines"
you can see draft of the paper here:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/23978468/Virtual-Co-processors-Flexible-and-Scalable-Virtual-Machines

> Either way, I'm eager to see this get accepted :-).

And I'm eager to start work on this :)

Thanks for your comments.
Nitin