Time and KVM - best practices

Hey,

What is considered "best practice" when running a KVM host with a
mixture of Linux and Windows guests?

Currently I have ntpd running on the host, and I start my guests using
"-rtc base=localhost,clock=host", with an extra "-tdf" added for
Windows guests, just to keep their clock from drifting madly during
load.

But with this setup, all my guests are constantly 1-2 seconds behind
the host. I can live with that for the Windows guests, as they are not
running anything that depends heavily on the time being set perfect,
but for some of the Linux guests it's an issue.

Would I be better of using ntpd and "-rtc base=localhost,clock=vm" for
all the Linux guests, or is there some other magic way of ensuring
that the clock is perfectly in sync with the host? Perhaps there are
some kernel configuration I can do to optimize the host for KVM?

I'm currently using QEMU PC emulator version 0.12.50 (qemu-kvm-devel)
because version 0.12.30 did not work well at all with Windows guests,
and the kernel in both host and Linux guests is 2.6.33.1

:o)
/Thomas