[ kvm-Bugs-2972734 ] VMs fail to boot with -no-kvm and boot=on

Bugs item #2972734, was opened at 2010-03-18 10:57
Message generated for change (Comment added) made by joshwilsdon
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=893831&aid=2972734&group_id=180599

not just the latest update.
Category: qemu
Group: None

Initial Comment:
I've run into the same problem as described here: http://www.spinics.net/lists/kvm/msg27938.html and I don't see that there was a solution posted anywhere for this.  I've tried with both 0.12.3 and the latest git version of qemu-kvm and have the same result.  VMs that work fine with KVM enabled do not work with the -no-kvm flag.  If I remove the boot=on from the hard drive, I am able to boot an ISO image but if I re-add boot=on the system hangs either in loading GRUB or ISOLINUX if I boot on an Ubuntu install ISO.  This is happening on multiple machines (all x86_64).  On machines without virtualization extensions this happens regardless of the -no-kvm flag.

Date: 2010-03-19 17:59

Message:
I did much further experimentation and found that the problem is specific
to the boot=on flag.  If I disable to boot=on flag, and change the
if=virtio to if=ide, the VM boots.  It doesn't boot with if=virtio,boot=on
or if=ide,boot=on.   Again, this is only when in combination with the
-no-kvm flag or on a machine without the extensions.  The exact same host
image (qemu-kvm binary, kernel, everything) works fine on a machine with
kvm extensions and the same cmdline. The combination of boot=on and
if=virtio worked on these same machines (again both with and without
extensions) in qemu-kvm 0.11.0 but does not work in qemu-kvm 0.12.3 or with
the latest version in git as of today (2010-03-19).

Hopefully that helps narrow it down.  For now I had to modify my scripts
so that VMs on non-KVM nodes use the ide driver and remove the boot=on
option.