Re: KVM Shared memory ivshmem enquiry

Hi Neville,

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 8:59 PM, Neville Clark <nev@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Cam and others,
>
> I have been trying to enable Shared memory in KVM but I am not clear on
> the correct procedures and requirements, I am new to KVM, kernel
> building, git so am on very step learning curve.
>
> I have an application that requires shared memory between host and
> guest. I have been using Vmware workstation 6.0.5, but all later
> versions do not support shared memory, and WS 6 is no longer available.
>
> I think I have managed to build and install the guest's kvm_ivshmem
> module, from http://www.gitorious.org/nahanni/
> I used cd kernem_modules;make;sudo make install;sudo modprobe
> kvm_ivshmem. Every thing seems to have worked.
>
> On the host side I am very confused as to what is required.
> I have created git repository using
> git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/virt/kvm/qemu-kvm.git
>
> I have been able to patch, build and install, but the result does NOT
> run.

Can you expand on how it doesn't run?  I would suggest using the
master branch and patching it with my patches.  As well as patching,
you need to run with something like

-ivshmem 128,myshm

to actually create the shared memory device.

> I have checked out the qemu-kvm-0.11.0 and built and installed but then
> I get a version miss-match. (this was unpatched as the patch does not
> work on this version).

shared memory requires a patched qemu-kvm at this point.

> The host is Ubuntu 9.10 64 bit, with ubuntu's KVM installed.
>
> Can I simply somehow build and install ivshmem module, or do I need to
> rebuild the kernel? eg get kvm.git and build and install new kernel.

You can just build the module.

> Is there another KVM binary that I can use, instead of Ubuntu's?

You can't use a distro binary as they don't support shared memory.

> Is the ivshmem patch likely to be accepted anytime soon?

I hope so :)  I'm currently working on some suggested changes from the
Qemu/KVM developers.

Thanks,
Cam