Re: qemu-kvm 0.12.3, Slackware 13 host and Windows XP guest - time drift a lot

On 03/17/2010 12:17 PM, Thomas Løcke wrote:
On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 8:33 PM, Zachary Amsden<zamsden@xxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
What's your host CPU load get up to.  You only have a single core?
Dual core.

If I only run a single Windows VM, the host load is pretty low. Sure
it goes up a bit when for example copying a file, but it's nothing
serious. It's not getting hammered in any way.

Including -rtc-td-hack ?
Yup, tried that as per suggested by one of the #kvm users. Didn't fix
it. But come to think of it, I didn't change any of the other options.
Should I have dropped -localtime and/or -tdf options? I will try again
tomorrow.

-rtc localtime

is required for Windows to get the proper RTC time, and -tdf should have no effect on Windows guests.

You might try

-rtc localtime,clock=host,driftfix=slew

As always, make sure you are running the latest and greatest modules, those
matter even more than the kernel, and check for any warning messages in
dmesg and qemu output.

But don't the latest kvm modules come with the kernel? So if I compile
a new kernel, the kvm modules should be updated too, yes?

I will try the latest qemu-kvm.

I use git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/virt/kvm/kvm-kmod.git and track a 2.6 kernel branch directly so I always have latest module source regardless of host kernel.

Zach