Re: [WIP Patch v2 00/14] Avoiding slow get-user-pages via memory fault exit

On Fri, Mar 17, 2023 at 11:13 AM Sean Christopherson <seanjc@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 17, 2023, Oliver Upton wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 15, 2023 at 02:17:24AM +0000, Anish Moorthy wrote:
> > > Hi Sean, here's what I'm planing to send up as v2 of the scalable
> > > userfaultfd series.
> >
> > I don't see a ton of value in sending a targeted posting of a series to the
> > list.

But isn't it already generating value as you were able to weigh in and
provide feedback on technical aspects that you would not have been
otherwise able to if Anish had just messaged Sean?

> > IOW, just CC all of the appropriate reviewers+maintainers. I promise,
> > we won't bite.

I disagree. While I think it's fine to reach out to someone off-list
to discuss a specific question, if you're going to message all
reviewers and maintainers, you should also CC the mailing list. That
allows more people to follow along and weigh in if necessary.

> +1.  And though I discourage off-list review, if something is really truly not
> ready for public review, e.g. will do more harm than good by causing confusing,
> then just send the patches off-list.  Half measures like this will just make folks
> grumpy.

In this specific case, Anish very clearly laid out the reason for
sending the patches and asked very specific directed questions in the
cover letter and called it out as WIP. Yes "WIP" should have been
"RFC" but other than that should anything have been different?