Re: Make QEmu HPET disabled by default for KVM?

On 03/11/2010 12:23 PM, Gleb Natapov wrote:

If the problem it due to lost ticks reinjection may solve it, but only partially.
What if IO thread haven't run even once during the time vcpu did clock
source check? IIRC sometimes we trigger this even with in kernel PIT.
That is true.  Reinjection can correct problems in the long term,
but may fail in the short term.  10 ticks is easily short term in a
heavily loaded system.

How does it happen with kernel PIT?  I could understand it if we had
a work item doing the injection, but everything happens either from
hrtimer context or vcpu context.

Do we kick vcpu out of guest mode when hrtimer triggers? I don't see us doing it in
__kvm_timer_fn().

We're always running on the same cpu as vcpu 0, so no need.