Re: Make QEmu HPET disabled by default for KVM?

On 03/11/2010 10:31 AM, Gleb Natapov wrote:
On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 10:28:12AM +0200, Avi Kivity wrote:
On 03/11/2010 10:23 AM, Sheng Yang wrote:
I have kept --no-hpet in my setup for
months...
Any details about the problems?  HPET is important to some guests.

Seems like HPET reaction is too slow to satisfy some guests(for it would
replace PIT).

Here is the thread last time.

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.emulators.kvm.devel/44899

Thanks.  We can address this in three ways: first, adjust the guest
not to do timing related tests when virtualized (since no matter
what we do, the tests may fail).  Second, I think we should
implement userspace ack notifiers (similar to tpr access notifiers
already present).  Third, we can implement a kernel hpet, which,
after we solve the zillion bug it introduces, will also give a nice
performance improvement for hpet intensive workloads.

Second will not solve the problem. Presence of ack notifiers will not
make HPET interrupt arrive faster.

But it will allow us to compensate for interrupts being coalesced, which may be the root of the problem.