Performance of virtio-blk?

Dear kvm developers
firstly thank you for doing such a great job on KVM.

Following this list I see great ongoing progresses on virtio-net, now even more with the vhost
but I see virtio-blk very rarely mentioned.

We have an old kvm installation (host kernel is also old at 2.6.24) and I don't seem to be able to get good performances out of virtio-blk, I think it doesn't surpass 40MB/sec (difficult to benchmark as there are many VMs running now), while we have a large RAID on the host. We would really need fast disk access more than network access.

How is the speed on the newest KVMs and kernels? (suppose the HD is not the bottleneck, e.g. on a fast RAID)

Also is there any guide on how to tune it?

Is a vhost-blk planned? For vhost-net I read you got to the 7Gbit/sec! 700MB/sec disk access could be enough :-D