Re: Nested virtualization without nested vmx

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I have a Intel Q9550 processor. EPT was
introduced in the Nehalem series, where my processor is not part of.
Based on that, I conclude that I am not using EPT and thus using
shadow page tables.

The problem of running (for example) a VirtualBox guest inside a KVM
guest is a problem in the use of the shadow page tables? Is there a
way I can test or confirm this so that I can know what exactly is the
problem with the shadow page tables? Using EPT (in a Nehalem
processor) the nesting might work without the nested vmx support in
KVM?

I am looking into these issues for my master theses about nested
virtualzation in general. The goal is to make an overview about
successful and less successful nested virtualization and what the
problems still are. In this case, I am looking what is keeping
software virtualization solutions from nesting inside a hardware
assisted virtualizaton solution (e.g. KVM).

Thanks in advance,
Olivier