Re: KVM usability

On Mon, Mar 01, 2010 at 09:14:02AM -0600, Anthony Liguori wrote:
> On 02/27/2010 04:56 AM, Ingo Molnar wrote:
>
> The other type of user we target is power virtualization/emulation
> users.  We certainly could do better for this type of user but it's
> never going to fit what your expectation of desktop virtualization is.
> Qemu is never going to be like running VMware Workstation or VirtualBox.
>
> There is very little split between qemu and kvm from a project
> perspective.  If anything, our lack of focus on desktop virtualization
> comes from the split between qemu/kvm and libvirt.  All of the end-user
> usability is done in the context of libvirt and virt-manager whereas the
> qemu/kvm developers tend to focus on performance, features, and robustness.
>
> I think we don't spend enough time in qemu/kvm thinking about how we
> interact with libvirt with respect to end-to-end usability.  It's
> something I do believe we need to address and it's an area I have been
> focusing on recently.

On the other side of things, we (in libvirt community) have tended to be
more focused on server virtualization use cases, than desktop ones. There
is certainly alot more we could be doing for end user desktop usability
in both libvirt & QEMU/KVM parts. As & when we move forward with spice
integration, we'll get some significant improvements in usability through
the improved graphics performance, flexible guest display resolution, and
audio tunnelling to the clients.

Daniel
--
|: Red Hat, Engineering, London    -o-   http://people.redhat.com/berrange/ :|