Re: Nested SVM and migration

On 02/20/2010 10:18 PM, Joerg Roedel wrote:

Actually, looking deeper, there doesn't even appear to be any way to
export the nested CPU data at all, meaning basic features like
suspending and restoring the VM are not possible.  Is there any plan to
make it work in the near future?  I'm not complaining; if my
understanding is correct, this actually makes my current task easier.
I think we should introduce a flag to indicate userspace if a vcpu is in
a state that could be migrated in a save way together with a way for
userspace to request that the vcpu enters a migratable state. In the
kernel we could do something like that:

nested_svm_vmrun(...)
{
	/* ... */
	kvm_migration_disable(vcpu);
	/* ... */
}

nested_svm_vmexit(...)
{
	/* ... */
	kvm_migration_enable(vcpu);
	/* ... */
}

and somewhere in the vcpu_run loop:

if (vcpu->arch.migration_win_req)
	nested_svm_vmexit(INTR);

This might be helpful in other situations too. Thoughts?

This doesn't work if the guest disables INTR intercepts, or if the guest checks that an interrupt was actually received. Of course no sane guest does this.