Re: windows server 2008 hyper-v on kvm

On 15.02.2010, at 20:09, Evan Ingram wrote:

> On 15/02/2010 19:02, Brian Jackson wrote:
>>
>> So you want to run hyper-v guests inside of a kvm guest? So there would be 2
>> levels of virtualization? It's called nested virtualization. It only currently
>> works with AMD cpus, and even then it's pretty slow unless you've got npt.
>> It's also not very well tested (last I heard the only thing that worked
>> reliably was kvm in kvm).
>>

> yeah. i wanted to run windows remote desktop services to serve some thin clients, but i wanted to run it on my kvm server. the desktop virtualisation requires hyper-v.

Running Hyper-V inside KVM is one of my big goals. Performance-wise it should be pretty good when used on an AMD K10 (4-core and newer) system, because Hyper-V 1 doesn't use nested pages anyways.

Unfortunately, last time I checked it was still broken. I haven't gotten around to spend another week on debugging it yet. I haven't gotten some minor detail about interrupt injection right I suppose. So I guess you need to live without for now :-).

Alex--