Best strategy for use of swap?

Hi

I was wondering; Does it make any sense to use swap inside guests?
Wouldn't it give better performance to just skip swap entirely in the
guest, assign it more memory and then increase the swap size on the
host?

Writing to swap on the host side doesn't have the overhead of the
virtio layer, Qcow2 filesystem or an underlying host filesystem. And
at the same time, KSM can decrease the overall memory usage on the
host, which I suppose will lower the risk of the host using swap at
all.

Are there any disadvantages to this or would this be the prefered way
of using swap on a KVM-based system?

Thanks

Best Regards
Kenni Lund