A really weird guest crash, that ONLY happens on KVM, and ONLY on 6th gen+ Intel Core CPU's

Hi all, looking for hints on a wild crash.

The company I work for has a kernel driver used to literally make a db
query result look like a filesystem… The “database” in question being
a proprietary SCM repository… (ClearCase, for those who have been
around forever… Like me…)

We have a crash on mounting the remote repository ONE way (ClearCase
“Automatic views”) but not another (ClearCase “Dynamic views”) where
both use the same kernel driver… The guest OS is RHEL 7.8, not
registered with RH (since the VM is only supposed to last a couple of
days.) The host OS is Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS, though that does not seem to
matter.

The wild part is that this only happens when the ClearCase host is a
KVM guest, and only on 6th-generation or newer . It does NOT happen
on:
* VMWare Virtual machines configured identically
* VirtualBox Virtual machines Configured identically
* 2nd generation intel core hosts running the same KVM release.
(because OF COURSE my office "secondary desktop" host is ancient...
* A 4th generation I7 host running Ubuntu 22.04 and that version’s
default KVM. (Because I am a laptop packrat. That laptop had been
sitting on a bookshelf for 3+ years and I went "what if...")

If I edit the KVM configuration and change the “mirror host CPU”
option to use the 2nd or 4th generation CPU options, the crash stops
happening… If this was happening on physical machines, the VM crash
would make sense, but it's literally a hypervisor-specific crash.

Any hints, tips, or comments would be most appreciated... Never
thought I'd be trying to debug kernel/hypervisor interactions, but
here I am...