Re: CPU hotplug add seems broken

2010/1/10 Gleb Natapov <gleb@xxxxxxxxxx>:
> On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 05:33:02PM +0900, Ryota Ozaki wrote:
[...]
>> I see. Anyway I think we need some workaround to avoid segfault.
>>
> Disabling cpu_set command for qemu-kvm-0.12 is good enough workaround.

Agree. I'll send a patch.

>> > but ACPI code that handles CPU host-plug was not ported to
>> > SeaBIOS when it replaces BOCH BIOS.
>>
>> Yeah, I confirmed it during memory hotplug work...
>>
>> So I'd like to know when cpu hotplug comes back? I didn't see
>> it in qemu-0.13 feature requests.
>>
> May I ask what do you need it for?

Oh sorry, actually I have not so strong desire on cpu hotplug but
I have on memory hotplug and just want to learn stuffs to implement
it from cpu's one. Honestly said I'm not sure someone want it.

> The problem is that there is no standard
> way to hotplug CPUs in a PC. Linux implements the way UNISYS happen to do
> it, but no other system do it like that. Windows implements it
> differently and in the way that conflicts with Linux, so you can't
> have working Linux implementation and pass Microsoft SVVP test at the
> same time for instance.

Could I ask you what's the difference between the two implementations?
Don't we have a possibility to have different implementations in qemu-kvm
(and SeaBIOS)? And also I want to ask that the problem can be applied
to memory hotplug case?

Thanks,
  ozaki-r