Re: FreeBSD guest hogs cpu after disk delay?

On Mon January 4 2010, Gleb Natapov wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 04, 2010 at 08:06:15AM -0700, Thomas Fjellstrom wrote:
> > >
> > > I forgot to mention, the host is running debian sid with kernel
> > > 2.6.31-1- amd64, and kvm --version reports:
> > >
> > > QEMU PC emulator version 0.10.50 (qemu-kvm-devel-88)
> > >
> > > the hosts / and the vm volumes all sit on a lvm volume group, ontop
> > > of a md- raid1 mirror of two Seagate 7200.12 500GB SATAII drives.
> > >
> > > The host is running 7 other guest which all seem to be running
> > > smoothly, except both freebsd (pfSense) based guests which seemed to
> > > have locked up after this message:
> > >
> > > ad0: TIMEOUT - WRITE_DMA retrying (1 retry left) LBA=16183439
> > >
> > > Though the second freebsd guest didn't seem to use up nearly as much
> > > cpu, but it uses up far lower resources than the first.
> >
> > No one have an idea whats going wrong? All of my virtio based linux
> > guests stayed alive. But both of my FreeBSD guests using whatever "ide"
> > in the - drive option sets locked up solid.
>
> Can you try more recent version of kvm?

This is a "production" machine that I'd really like not to have to reboot,
or stop the vms in any way. But qemu-kvm-0.11.0 seems to exist in apt now,
so I might upgrade soonish (the kvm package seems to have been removed from
sid, so it hasn't been upgrading).

Also grub2 seems to be having issues on it, so I'm afraid to reboot at all.
All of a sudden last month it started to refuse to update itself properly.
who knows if the box even boots at this point ::)

> --
> 			Gleb.
> --

Thomas Fjellstrom