Re: [kvm-unit-tests] Adding the QCBOR library to kvm-unit-tests

On Wed, Mar 16, 2022 at 10:42:31AM +0000, Alexandru Elisei wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Mar 15, 2022 at 04:25:28PM +0100, Andrew Jones wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 15, 2022 at 01:33:57PM +0000, Alexandru Elisei wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Arm is planning to upstream tests that are being developed as part of the
> > > Confidential Compute Architecture [1]. Some of the tests target the
> > > attestation part of creating and managing a confidential compute VM, which
> > > requires the manipulation of messages in the Concise Binary Object
> > > Representation (CBOR) format [2].
> > >
> > > I would like to ask if it would be acceptable from a license perspective to
> > > include the QCBOR library [3] into kvm-unit-tests, which will be used for
> > > encoding and decoding of CBOR messages.
> > >
> > > The library is licensed under the 3-Clause BSD license, which is compatible
> > > with GPLv2 [4]. Some of the files that were created inside Qualcomm before
> > > the library was open-sourced have a slightly modified 3-Clause BSD license,
> > > where a NON-INFRINGMENT clause is added to the disclaimer:
> > >
> > > "THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED
> > > WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF
> > > MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE **AND NON-INFRINGEMENT**
> > > ARE DISCLAIMED" (emphasis by me on the added clause).
> > >
> > > The files in question include the core files that implement the
> > > encode/decode functionality, and thus would have to be included in
> > > kvm-unit-tests. I believe that the above modification does not affect the
> > > compatibility with GPLv2.
> > >
> > > I would also like to mention that the QCBOR library is also used in Trusted
> > > Firmware-M [5], which is licensed under BSD 3-Clause.
> > >
> > > [1] https://www.arm.com/architecture/security-features/arm-confidential-compute-architecture
> > > [2] https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc8949
> > > [3] https://github.com/laurencelundblade/QCBOR
> > > [4] https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#GPLCompatibleLicenses
> > > [5] https://git.trustedfirmware.org/TF-M/trusted-firmware-m.git/tree/lib/ext/qcbor
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Alex
> > >

> > Assuming the license is OK (I'm not educated in that stuff enough to give
> > an opinion), then the next question is how do we want to integrate it?
> > Bring it all in, like we did libfdt? Or use a git submodule?
>
> This is still a work in progress and at this time I'm not sure how it will
> end up looking. Do you have a preference for one or the other?

I think I prefer a submodule, but I'm all ears on this. By coincidence the
same topic is now also being discussed here

https://lore.kernel.org/kvm/334cc93e-9843-daa9-5846-394c199e294f@xxxxxxxxxx/T/#mb5db3e9143e4f2ca47d24a32b30e7b2f014934e8

Thanks,
drew