Re: [ANNOUNCE] kvm-kmod-2.6.32.2

On 12/24/2009 09:10 PM, Daniel Bareiro wrote:

Can this version of kvm-kmod be used with any version of Linux kernel?

Not any version, but most.

I have Linux 2.6.32 in a host, but I suppose that considering, by the
date of publication of kvm-kmod, that the provided modules by this
package are newer and fix several bugs of the provided modules by Linux
2.6.32.

kvm-kmod-2.6.32.2 contains the kvm modules from Linux 2.6.32.2. You're better off installing Linux 2.6.32.2 instead of kvm-kmod-2.6.32.2 on top of Linux 2.6.32 (since you get non-kvm fixes as well).

Also I have another host with Linux 2.6.30 and KVM-88, both compiled by
myself in that order. Then I didn't know that the userspace and the
kernel modules could be updated in independent form with qemu-kvm and
kvm-kmod, respectively; so I suppose that when installing KVM-88 in
second instance, it will have overwritten the newest modules of Linux
2.6.30. Is it correct? In this case, can have some problem installing
kvm-kmod 2.6.32.2 with Linux 2.6.30?

It should work without problems.

Today I had a problem with one of the VMs running under this environment
of kvm-88 + Linux 2.6.30 (with modules of kvm-88, if what I said before
is correct). This is a VM that runs a Java application server with high
rate of I/O.

The server didn't respond reason according to it showed Nagios. When I
acceded to host through the shell, it drew attention to me to see that
uptime reflected about 14697 days! When trying to execute "top", the
console was hung and I did not have another alternative that to do kill
-9 of the process. This could have due to some bug of that version of
KVM?

Looks like time drift. You should upgrade to more recent versions and report.

Perhaps it is an obvious question, but during the update process of the
modules, the virtual machines must be down?

You cannot rmmod the kvm modules while virtual machines are running.

signature is too narrow to contain.