Re: Soft lockups and cpu frequency scaling

On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 02:16:49PM +0100, Martin Schmitt wrote:
> All,
>
> I'm running a manually compiled KVM on CentOS 5.4. The KVM installation
> has been carried over from CentOS 5.3, when KVM wasn't distributed with
> the OS. (I tried to migrate to CentOS 5.4 native KVM support, but wasn't
> able to get along with RedHat's interpretation of KVM.)
>
> The KVM version used is 88, on Kernel 2.6.18-128.7.1.el5, as KVM doesn't
> seem to compile on CentOS' current 2.6.18-164.9.1.el5.
>
> Only on CentOS guests, I see very frequent "soft lockup" messages and
> excessively hanging KVM instances.

Can you please share some of the soft lockup messages.

And how exactly are the VMs hanging?

>  Long-term stability is fine (several months uptime), but disturbed
> by the hangs. The problem already was there on CentOS 5.3 as well.
> With the Debian guests on the same host, I have never had any apparent
> problems.

Questions:

- Is there significant swapping on the host?
- Are you migrating vm's?

> A number of google results suggest that I should work with CPU scaling
> on the CentOS guest systems, but unfortunately, CPU scaling is not
> available in my guests. So, here's my question: How do I enable CPU
> scaling in KVM guests? Or is there any other measure against these soft
> lockups that you can recommend?

What probably was suggested is to disable cpu frequency scaling on the
host. Please provide more details on the host system.