kvm troubles

Hi,
     I am trying to run qemu with kvm on my machine but with no
success. My system configuration is:

Debian: 5.0.3 (lenny)
uname -a reports the following:

Linux divkis01-pc 2.6.26-2-686 #1 SMP Wed Nov 4 20:45:37 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux

The mother bios has virtualization enabled and my processor Intel Core
2 Duo 8400 __supports__ Intel-VT.

cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep vmx
flags		: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov
pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx lm
constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts pni monitor ds_cpl vmx smx est tm2
ssse3 cx16 xtpr sse4_1 lahf_lm
flags		: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov
pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx lm
constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts pni monitor ds_cpl vmx smx est tm2
ssse3 cx16 xtpr sse4_1 lahf_lm

The things that I have already tried are:

1. Installed the kvm using apt. The version of kvm is shown below.

 dpkg --list kvm*
||/ Name                              Version
 Description
+++-=================================-=================================-==================================================================================
ii  kvm                               72+dfsg-5~lenny3
 Full virtualization on x86 hardware
un  kvm-data                          <none>
 (no description available)
ii  kvm-source                        72+dfsg-5~lenny3
 Source for the KVM driver

2. Installed qemu version 0.9.1. dpkg --list qemu* shows:

||/ Name                              Version
 Description
+++-=================================-=================================-==================================================================================
ii  qemu                              0.9.1-10lenny1
 fast processor emulator

With this when I try to run the qemu, it runs but it is slow. I don't
see any errors or any messages in dmesg as suggested in the FAQ's on
http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/FAQ in section "Troubleshooting". I also
see that in my case kvm module is loaded properly and the permission
are also readable for all users. i.e. the output is the following on
my machine:

ls -al /dev/kvm
crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 10, 232 2009-12-23 10:11 /dev/kvm

and

lsmod | grep kvm
kvm_intel              31168  0
kvm                   106588  1 kvm_intel

I then installed the kqemu as suggested on the page:
http://wiki.debian.org/QEMU, and this seems to work for me. But If I
understand correctly then still kvm is not being utilized in my case.
Please suggest what am I missing in my setup.

I have even tried building from qemu-0.12.1 from source but I see the
following errors :

./configure --enable-kvm
#error Missing KVM capability KVM_CAP_DESTROY_MEMORY_REGION_WORKS
      NOTE: To enable KVM support, update your kernel to 2.6.29+ or
install   recent kvm-kmod from http://sourceforge.net/projects/kvm.
ERROR
ERROR: User requested feature kvm
ERROR: configure was not able to find it
ERROR

After this I read the following post
https://bugs.launchpad.net/qemu/+bug/494500, but it has confused me
even more, as there doesn't seem to be any conclusion on the bug
report.

I am quite confused with what combination of kernel, qemu, kqemu and
OS works / doesn't work.

Any help is appreciated. Since I am not registered on the list, please
cc me in the reply.

Thanks,
Divick