Re: Memory under KVM?

On 12/16/2009 01:21 AM, Thomas Fjellstrom wrote:

The problem is it should be automatic. The balloon driver itself or
some other mechanism should be capable of noticing when it can free up
a bunch of guest memory. I can't be bothered to manually sit around and
monitor memory usage on my host so I can then go into virt-manager to
reduce memory to each guest.
That should be pretty easy though it will have an effect on guest
performance.

As long as its only done after an appropriately long idle period (ie: theres
been X MB's free for a long time, give it back), I can't see it harming
performance too much. At least not more than setting ram too low when
manually (de)ballooning memory.

It depends on what your expectations are. If you have a lot of memory you might be surprised when you access an idle guest and have to wait for it to page itself back from disk.