Re: Memory under KVM?

On Mon December 14 2009, rek2 wrote:
> > VIRT includes a lot of shared memory, so it's not a very useful number
> > to look at when trying to gauge how much memory a process is using.
>
> Ok, so then what stats should we look to calculate the amount of memory
> a server should have depending on how many guests we will like to use?
>
> Thanks again
> --

If you want to be extra careful, you'll want to get as much ram as you need
for all the guests, and the host, and probably leave a little free for the
host to use as a disk cache.

At least with the kvm setup I have, there is no way to overcommit memory,
other than to use the hosts swap. Things are pretty tight memory wise for
me, I'm hoping KSM in 2.6.32 will help alleviate matters some what.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom
tfjellstrom@xxxxxxx