Re: Installing kernel headers in kvm-kmod

Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> On Thursday 10 December 2009, Avi Kivity wrote:
>> Maybe even /usr/local/include/kvm-kmod-$version/...., and a symlink
>> /usr/local/include/kvm-kmod.
>
> Depends on how fine-grained you want to do the packaging.
> Most distributions split packages between code and development
> packages. The kvm-kmod code is the kernel module, so you want
> to be able to install it for multiple kernels simultaneously.
>
> Building the package only requires one version of the header
> and does not depend on the underlying kernel version, only
> on the version of the module, so it's reasonable to install only
> one version as the -dev package, and have a dependency
> in there to match the module version with the header version.
>
> The most complex setup would split the development package
> into one per kernel version and/or module version, plus an
> extra package for the module version containing only the
> symlink. I wouldn't go there.

I've just (forced-)pushed the "simple" version with
/usr/include/kvm-kmod as destination. The user headers are now stored
under usr/include in the kvm-kmod sources and installed from there.

>>> It may also be useful to do the equivalent of 'make headers_install'
>>> from the kernel, to remove all "#ifdef __KERNEL__" sections and
>>> sparse annotations from the header files, but it should also work
>>> without that.
>>>
>> Well, qemu.git needs __user removed.
>
> This one is taken care of by kvm_kmod in the sync script, though it
> would be cleaner to only do it for the installed version of the header,
> not for the one used to build kvm.ko.

It's easy to drop, but I wonder why it was introduced. To allow reusing
the headers for user space?

Jan