Re: A few KVM security questions

On Mon, Dec 07, 2009 at 06:09:55PM +0100, Joanna Rutkowska wrote:

> Also, SELinux seems to me like a step into the wrong direction. It not
> only adds complexity to the already-too-complex kernel, but requires
> complex configuration. See e.g. this paper[1] for a nice example of how
> to escape SE-sandboxed qemu on FC8 due to SELinux policy misconfiguration.

Things have changed alot since the time the that Xen SELinux policy was
written. The Xen policy was always a tradeoff between usability & security
sine the XenD managment tools were playing no part in the configuration,
leaving it upto the administrator. With KVM  & SELinx, the management tools
play an active part in configuration, removing this burden from the
adminsitrator. Each VM runs under a SELinux context with a dedicated MLS
category, and the resources the VM is assigned have their labelling set
to match. The guest policy only allows it access to resources with a
matching MLS level, so it not gain access to anything the administrator
has not explicitly granted in the VM's configuration. This is actually
simpler for administrators, since they no longer need to manage labelling
themselves, while offering greater protection between VMs which was also
not possible with the old Xen policy

Regards,
Daniel