Re: A few KVM security questions

On 12/07/2009 03:55 PM, Joanna Rutkowska wrote:

It should be fairly easy to place qemu in a guest.  You would leave a
simple program on the host to communicate with kvm and pass any data
written by the guest to qemu running in another guest, and feed any
replies back to the guest.

But then you would need to have another qemu (on the host) to support
running this "qemu-VM", where we want to put the qemu, right?

Right, but to exploit this, you'd have to exploit the internal qemu, exploit the kernel, and exploit the external qemu. Well, if the exploit was in some central thing I guess there isn't much value in the nesting.

You could alternatively use Xenner to run Xen guests for your qemu. That emulates a lot less. But AFAIK xenner is moving towards qemu as well.