Re: guest gets stuck on the migration from AMD to Intel

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 3:19 PM, Harald Dunkel <harald.dunkel@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> If I migrate a virtual machine (2.6.31.6, amd64) from a host with
> AMD cpu to an Intel host, then the guest is terminated on the old
> host as expected, but it gets stuck on the new host. Every 60 seconds
> it prints a message on the virtual console saying
>
>        BUG: soft lockup - CPU#0 got stuck for 61s!
Quite possible that the guest could not be scheduled to run for a
longer time during migration. In such a case the Linux kernel will
find that the cpu was stuck/locked and hence throw the call trace.
These messages are not harmful(is not it?) and the guest keeps running
without any problem.

> [...]
>
> There is no migration problem for AMD --> AMD and Intel --> AMD.
> I didn't had a chance to test Intel --> Intel yet.
>
> The virtual disk is on a common NFSv3 partition. All hosts are
> running 2.6.31.6 (amd64).
>
> Can anybody reproduce this? I saw the error message several times on
> Google, but not together with a migration from AMD to Intel.
>
> Any helpful comment would be highly appreciated.
>

> Regards
>
> Harri
> processor       : 0
> vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
> cpu family      : 15
> model           : 67
> model name      : Dual-Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 1210
> stepping        : 2
> cpu MHz         : 1795.378
> cache size      : 1024 KB
> physical id     : 0
> siblings        : 2
> core id         : 0
> cpu cores       : 2
> apicid          : 0
> initial apicid  : 0
> fpu             : yes
> fpu_exception   : yes
> cpuid level     : 1
> wp              : yes
> flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt rdtscp lm 3dnowext 3dnow rep_good extd_apicid pni cx16 lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm extapic cr8_legacy
> bogomips        : 3590.75
> TLB size        : 1024 4K pages
> clflush size    : 64
> cache_alignment : 64
> address sizes   : 40 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
> power management: ts fid vid ttp tm stc
> :
> :
>

> processor       : 0
> vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
> cpu family      : 6
> model           : 23
> model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           E5420  @ 2.50GHz
> stepping        : 10
> cpu MHz         : 2500.605
> cache size      : 6144 KB
> physical id     : 0
> siblings        : 4
> core id         : 0
> cpu cores       : 4
> apicid          : 0
> initial apicid  : 0
> fpu             : yes
> fpu_exception   : yes
> cpuid level     : 13
> wp              : yes
> flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm dca sse4_1 xsave lahf_lm tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority
> bogomips        : 5001.21
> clflush size    : 64
> cache_alignment : 64
> address sizes   : 38 bits physical, 48 bits virtual

Sudhir Kumar