Re: XP blue screen with qemu-kvm-0.11.0

Ross Boylan wrote:
[]
++ sudo vdeq bin/qemu-system-x86_64 -net nic,vlan=1,macaddr=52:54:a0:12:01:00 -net vde,vlan=1,sock=/var/run/vde2/tap0.ctl -boot c -vga std -hda /dev/turtle/XP01 -soundhw es1370 -localtime -m 1G -smp 2
arg ,vlan=1,sock=/var/run/vde2/tap0.ctl
TUNGETIFF ioctl() failed: Invalid argument
TUNSETOFFLOAD ioctl() failed: Bad address
Are the previous 2 messages significant?  Just noise from vdeq?

Not that I really know. I missed these in your original email.
But again, I don't use vde, and since the argument for the
-net command is a socket, I guess it gets messed up - kvm
assumes it's a tun device, not a socket...

The VM starts; I see the initial XP screen with the 4 colors; I see the
background I get when I log in (it logs me in directly without prompt);
and then (pretty fast) I get a blue screen.  The stop code is 0x8E, and
the text says to check disk space and BIOS options.
What's the bios files your kvm uses?
How do I find out?

I usually use strace.  Dunno really, it looks like there's no way
to ask where kvm will look for bios files.

[]
The VM starts fine if I point it to XP00 instead of XP01.
Well, that's telling, isn't it?  If you change disk image and
it works, the problem should be in the disk image...
Maybe.  As I said, it was working, and I get different errors with
--no-kvm.

With -no-kvm you're exposing less-tested code paths in kvm.

Is there a way I can mount the individual partitions on XP01 to get a
look at them?  It took a lot of time to create this, so I'm really
hoping I can salvage it.

That's what qemu-nbd is for.  Or qemu-img convert it to raw and
use kpartx on it.

P.S.  What are the different files in my kvm/bin directory?
There's no kvm/bin directory in the source tarball of qemu-kvm-0.11.0.
I'm referring to the installation directories:
/usr/local/kvm/bin$ ls
qemu-img  qemu-io  qemu-nbd  qemu-system-x86_64

There are manpages for each (except qemu-io which is a debugging tool).
See also qemu documentation.

/mjt