Re: [RFC] x86: Eliminate VM state changes during KVM_GET_MP_STATE

On Fri, Jun 11, 2021 at 3:31 AM Paolo Bonzini <pbonzini@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 10/06/21 22:39, Jim Mattson wrote:
> > But, even worse, it can modify guest memory,
> > even while all vCPU threads are stopped!
>
> To some extent this is a userspace issue---they could declare vCPU
> threads stopped only after KVM_GET_MPSTATE is done, and only start the
> downtime phase of migration after that.  But it is nevertheless a pretty
> bad excuse.

I agree that this could be fixed by documenting the behavior. Since I
don't think there's any existing documentation that says which ioctls
can modify guest memory, such a documentation change wouldn't actually
constitute an API breakage.

BTW, which ioctls can modify guest memory?

And, while we're at it, can we document the required orderings of the
various _GET_ and _SET_ ioctls for save and restore?