Re: List of unaccessible x86 states

On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 09:23:22PM +0200, Alexander Graf wrote:

> On 20.10.2009, at 21:09, Gleb Natapov wrote:

> >>Or we can just not migrate while in a nested guest :-). Which will
> >>make everything a lot easier.
> >>
> >Suppose we have a l2 guest that handles interrupt/nmis by itself
> >how can we
> >force it to exit?
>
> If the nested hypervisor doesn't intercept INTR we don't support it
> anyways.

Why? I looked at the code briefly and it looks like we just inject
interrupt as usual instead of do nested exit if l2 does not intercept
INTR. Have I miss interpreted the code. Even if I have why not support
it?

> >I don't think requesting certain cpu state before
> >migration is the right thing to do. What if user paused a VM and then
> >decided to migrate?
>
> So pausing has to make it go out of nested guest context too?
Probably.

> Then we're not in the nested guest context, right? :)
>
> >Or VM was paused automatically because of shortage
> >of disk space and management want to migrate VM to other host with
> >bigger disk?
>
> Same as before.
What do you mean?

> Really, pushing the whole nesting state over is not a good idea.

May be just disallow migration with nested guest running then? Cross
vendor migration is not possible anyway.

--
			Gleb.