Re: guest .img files

2009/10/17 Lynn Wilborn <lynn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> I have a windows 2003 server guest that's been registered
> with MS, and it probably won't let me do that many more
> times. So I want to save the guest, erase fedora, and
> install centos 5.4 when it comes out.

I don't know if this always is the case, but I've done several
reinstallations of Windows 2003
and if it won't accept your legal serial, you'll get the option to
phone your local MS department
and they'll reactivate it so you'll be able to install it on "new hardware".

> Im told I can just copy the .img file of the guest to a
> network share to back it up, but is there anything I would
> need to do to have the virt-manager gui on the new OS see it
> and list it when I copy it back? Does it need to be imported
> in some way?

I don't know if there's a fancier way, but I did it some time ago
myself; just backup the image
and the corresponding libvirt XML configuration file from
/etc/libvirt/qemu/ (or something like
that, I don't have access to a Fedora machine at the moment) and copy
it back on the new
machine. Now restart the libvirtd daemon, to make it load the
XML-files and start up virt-manager.

FYI: This is a bit off topic as it is not really related to KVM, a
better place to ask virt-manager
questions would be at the fedora-virt mailing list;
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-virt

Best Regards
Kenni Lund