Re: Problem booting guest with Linux 2.6.3x

Hi Michael.

On Saturday, 10 October 2009 20:10:16 +0400,
Michael Tokarev wrote:

> >>It has nothing to do with kvm.  It's different kernel options, all
> >>kernels since very early 2.6.x are able to see ide disks as hdX or
> >>sdX, depending on the kernel options and modules loaded.  There are
> >>2 drivers for each IDE controller - IDE/ATA one, which creates hdX,
> >>and PATA one which creates sdX.

> >According to I was investigating, I have the impression that the
> >newest kernels delegate this disks denomination to the use of libata.
> >It would be that in 2.6.26 Debian stock kernel not yet was productive
> >to be in experimental phase?

> Debian "stock" kernel config does not enable ata devices, only ide ones.

Apparently the Debian GNU/Linux stock kernels has applied a patch [1]
which causes that libata only is enabled for SATA controllers.

It draws attention to me that being 2.6.31 the last branch of stable
kernel from kernel.org, the Debian developers are applying this patch. I
had thought that at the moment libata was sufficiently stable.

Thanks for your reply.

Regards,
Daniel

[1] http://svn.debian.org/viewsvn/kernel/dists/trunk/linux-2.6/debian/patches/debian/drivers-ata-ata_piix-postpone-pata.patch?revision=13847&view=markup
--
Fingerprint: BFB3 08D6 B4D1 31B2 72B9  29CE 6696 BF1B 14E6 1D37