Re: assign-dev: Purpose of interrupt_work

On 10/12/2009 11:38 AM, Gleb Natapov wrote:

irqfd can work from interrupt context, so if we only use the
workqueue for the many-vcpu cases, we should be fine.

I think we can do it cleanly, too: in ioapic code, if we're talking
to one vcpu, wake it immediately; otherwise schedule work to
continue in process context.  This was the common code can always
work in interrupt context and not worry about the work queue.

Even if we are talking to one cpu locking is still needed, so unless we
make it spinlock we can't inject from irq context. If we change mutex to
spinlock what is the point of work queue?

Not to loop over 4096 vcpus with interrupts disabled, triggered by guest action.