Differences on Intel and Amd

Hi all,

Sorry if this issues, or parts of this issue have been covered in
separate threads.

We  have an executable, of unknown origin, that is very likely to be
malicious.  We use KVM ( version 78) for sand-boxing the execution of
such software.
Each time the Virtual Machine is started from  a snapshot (with loadvm
), an executable is copied from a share and launched.

Now the problem. We have both AMD and Intel  machines. A snapshot
taken on Intel doesn't load on AMD and vice versa, so The snapshots
from which the VMs are
started are different. This executable, runs on the AMD machines, but
not on Intel. We concluded that the executable uses an undocumented
Windows API
function, and relies on a side-effect (a value placed in a register).
The value of this register differs from AMD to Intel. That is why it
shortly and silently terminates if ran on Intel. (by ran on Intel and
ran on AMD i mean of course a KVM VM on those platforms)

The questions are:
 Can a process within the VM find out the native processor type?
 Or can Windows XP find out the original processor type and behave differently?
 Does this behavior make sense to you?
 Is it possible that the difference is not due to hardware
differences, but because of different snapshots, and the events that
 occur before the snapshots, are different?

 We need to have consistent and repeatable results with thease
sand-boxed tests, that was what triggered the investigation in the
first place.

--
Alpar Torok