Re: CPUID.40000001H:EDX.KVM_HINTS_REALTIME[bit 0]

On Wed, Oct 21, 2020 at 7:57 AM Vitaly Kuznetsov <vkuznets@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Wanpeng Li <kernellwp@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > On Wed, 21 Oct 2020 at 14:47, Jim Mattson <jmattson@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >>
> >> Per the KVM_GET_SUPPORTED_CPUID ioctl, the KVM_HINTS_REALTIME CPUID
> >> bit is never supported.
> >>
> >> Is this just an oversight?
> >
> > It is a performance hint, not a PV feature and doesn't depend on KVM.
> >

> True, but personally I'd prefer it to be reported in
> KVM_GET_SUPPORTED_CPUID too, that would mean that userspace is in its
> right to set it, just like any other PV 'thingy', even if just for
> consistency.

I agree. The documentation says:

This ioctl returns x86 cpuid features which are supported by both the
hardware and kvm in its default configuration.

If the bit isn't set, then it is not supported, and a well-behaved
userspace will not set it.

Now, if the bit were in a completely different CPUID leaf (not a
KVM-defined leaf), then one could argue that it falls outside of the
realm of KVM_GET_SUPPORTED_CPUID. But it isn't, is it?