Re: Live migration between Intel Q6600 and AMD Phenom II

Hello,

On (Tue) Sep 08 2009 [13:32:39], Sterling Windmill wrote:
> I've read that it's possible to live migrate KVM guests between Intel and AMD CPUs, is it also possible to migrate from a CPU without NPT/EPT to the Phenom II that supports NPT? Will I lose out on any of the benefits NPT allows without shutting down and restarting the guest?

Live migration between different vendors isn't tested enough for us to
be confident in saying it works well. There has been some work done in
the area, but there can always be bugs or unimplemented features. If you
do try it, please share your experiences whether good or bad.

I think NPT support should get enabled for your VM if the migration does
succeed.

> Also, any thoughts on how much more performant a 3.0GHz Phenom II will be for running KVM guests than the 2.4GHz Intel Q6600?

The Q6600 does not support EPT, right? If so, the Phenom will be faster
as it does support NPT.

		Amit