re: Limit the CPU usage of KVM

Thanks, Dor.
More question inline:-)

Best regards,
Yu

> On 08/17/2009 11:04 AM, Yu Jiang (yujia) wrote:
> > Hi Dor,
> >
> > Thank you very much for your reply!
> >
> > Our kernel of host os was based on 2.6.18, so cgroup is not
> avaialbe
> > for us. And our Intel chip supports constant_tsc.
> > We will run RHEL 5.4 as guest os. Will the clock of guest
> os still be
> > a issue if we use kvm-clock in guest os?
>
> The first release of rhel5.4 guest won't support guest pv
> clock. It does support the host side of the clock. Further
> updates should enable this feature in the guest.

So, the kvm-clock is not available for us. What do you mean about host
side of clock? What clocksource should be used for the first release of
rhel5.4 as guest os. TSC? If we use TSC as clocksource, should we run
KVM with the -no-kvm-pit-reinjection flag?

> > And does it mean guest os will always has clock issue, if
> vcpu thread
> > was not scheduled on time?
>
> The stable tsc is good, but the problem is that it works in
> conjunction with the pit clock. The OS tries to compensate
> for lost ticks that it automatically identifies (also on real
> hardware). This is why we recommend to run RHEL guest with
> -no-kvm-pit-reinjection flag.
> My fear is that too large pauses will drive the OS crazy.
> You can test if it can cope with it.

Since we are not able to avoid larger pause in virtual machine
envrionment on heavy load, hopefully it will not cause issue.

> Why not use nice instead? The effect is similar, but it might
> be a bit more smooth.

With nice, we are able to remove the lantency of application on host os.
But, our customer may become crazy if they found the CPU usage of host
reach 100%.