Re: automatic memory ballooning?

On Mon August 17 2009, Avi Kivity wrote:
> On 08/17/2009 01:49 PM, Thomas Fjellstrom wrote:
> > One thing I found odd about kvm's ballooning is that it actually seems to
> > change how much ram the guest has. I really didn't expect "free -m" to
> > report that the guest only had 64M ram after I manually ballooned the
> > ram. I was however expecting it just to free ram it wasn't using in the
> > host. To me, it just doesn't seem to be the same thing. now it'll start
> > swapping at 64M ram instead of just reallocating the ram it used to have.
>
> You expectations aren't realistic.  kvm never allocates the ram the
> guest doesn't use in the first place.

Really? So htop is lying to me then? I gave 1G ram to a kvm linux guest using
virtio (disk, net, ballooning), and RES clearly said 1G, and VIRT actually
said somewhere around 1.3 to 1.6G. It stayed that way for over a day, and the
guest did nothing the entire time.

I know the kernel lies a little bit about ram usage, but it seems at least
with kvm, the ram is in use when it says it is, while with vmware, it usually
isn't.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom
tfjellstrom@xxxxxxx