Nested virtualization and software page walks in the L1 hypervsior

Peter Feiner asked me an intriguing question the other day. If you
have a hypervisor that walks  its guest's x86 page tables in software
during emulation, how can you make that software page walk behave
exactly like a hardware page walk? In particular, when the hypervisor
is running as an L1 guest, how is it possible to write the software
page walk so that accesses to L2's x86 page tables are treated as
reads if L0 isn't using EPT A/D bits, but they're treated as writes if
L0 is using EPT A/D bits? (Paravirtualization is not allowed.)

It seems to me that this behavior isn't virtualizable. Am I wrong?