Re: Proposal for MMIO/PIO dispatch file descriptors (ioregionfd)

On Mon, Feb 24, 2020 at 12:10:25PM -0500, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 22, 2020 at 08:19:16PM +0000, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
> > The KVM_IOREGIONFD_POSTED_WRITES flag
> > skips waiting for an acknowledgement on write accesses.  This is
> > suitable for accesses that do not require synchronous emulation, such as
> > doorbell register writes.
>
> I would avoid hacks like this until we understand this better.
> Specificlly one needs to be very careful since memory ordering semantics
> can differ between a write into an uncacheable range and host writes into
> a data structure. Reads from one region are also assumed to be ordered with
> writes to another region, and drivers are known to make assumptions
> like this.
>
> Memory ordering being what it is, this isn't a field I'd be comfortable
> device writes know what they are doing.

Unlike PCI Posted Writes the idea is not to let the write operations sit
in a cache.  They will be sent immediately just like ioeventfd is
signalled immediately before re-entering the guest.

The purpose of this feature is to let the device emulation program
handle these writes asynchronously (without holding up the vCPU for a
response from the device emulation program) but the order of
reads/writes remains unchanged.

Stefan