Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: virtio-serial: An interface for host-guest communication

On 08/10/09 16:27, Anthony Liguori wrote:

I think my fundamental argument boils down to two points. 1) we should
not require new guest drivers unless we absolutely have to

Allow guest drivers is fine though I guess?

2) we should
always do things in userspace unless we absolutely have to do things in
the kernel.

Wrong. There are often good reasons to do stuff in kernel, even if you can do it in userspace too.

Adding new kernel drivers breaks support for enterprise Linux distros.
Adding a userspace daemon does not. Windows device drivers require
signing which is very difficult to do. There's a huge practical
advantage in not requiring guest drivers.

Ok, so the virtio-serial + usbserial combo should work well then I think.

If you have guest drivers you'll go the virtio-serial route.
If you don't have guest drivers you can go the usbserial route, either via /dev/ttyUSB or via libusb.

We can also have a libvmchannel as abstraction layer on top of this.

cheers,
  Gerd