Re: [autotest] vm creation fails (not)

On 08/05/2009 06:48 PM, Michael Goldish wrote:

You should use wait() to find out if the process is alive, not tricks
with the PID and process name, which are racy as you found out.

I'm not sure I can do that because the process I'm interested in isn't a
child of mine.

It should be somebody's child and that somebody should wait for it.

In any case, I'd still need to use the process name to make sure the PID
belongs to the original process, because PIDs are reused after a while.

waitpid() solves that problem without using the process name. This isn't a new problem, you should use the established solutions.