Question on rdtsc instruction in guest

Hi,

I would like to know how rdtsc instruction works when executed in
guest. The guest uses kvm-clock for timekeeping. The tsc_timestamp
field in the shared page between the hypervisor and guest is updated
constantly by the hypervisor. Does rdtsc instruction, when executed in
guest, read the value from this shared page? Or does it read the
hardware TSC MSR register? If it reads from the hardware TSC MSR
register why do I observe different values of TSC when executed in
host and guest? Or is the instruction emulated by the hypervisor?

Thanks