Re: kvm userspace: ksm support

Izik Eidus wrote:

You mean: when we later call for other madvise calls, if it will remove the MADV_MERGEABLE from that memory? if yes, the answer is no, it should be still l left in the vma->vm_flags...

Excellent.

I'd suggest doing the following in osdep.h too:

#if !defined(MADV_MERGABLE)
#define MADV_MERGABLE MADV_NORMAL
#endif

To avoid #ifdefs in .c files.

I tried to follow the way DONTFORK madvise is working...

So you say, just to throw this thing into osdep.h instead of that c file?

Yes.

I think the DONTFORK thing is a bit odd. Of course we have MADV_DONTFORK if we're running KVM. I'm not sure why that is there.

I also think that we could get away with getting rid of any checks for !sync_mmu() since that was introduced in 2.6.27.

Otherwise, you should technically avoid doing madvise() unless we have sync_mmu().

Regards,

Anthony Liguori