Re: Fix migration issue when the destination is loaded

On 07/16/2009 12:39 PM, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
Hi Dor,

On Wed, 2009-07-15 at 18:03 +0300, Dor Laor wrote:
If the migration socket is full, we get EAGAIN for the write.
The set_fd_handler2 defers the write for later on. The function
tries to wake up the iothread by qemu_kvm_notify_work.
Since this happens in a loop, multiple times, the pipe that emulates
eventfd becomes full and we get a deadlock.

I'm not sure I follow:

   - You're seeing qemu_kvm_notify_work() being called many times

   - The call chain is migrate_fd_put_buffer(), qemu_set_fd_handler2(),
     main_loop_break()

   - This happens when write() in migrate_fd_put_buffer() returns EAGAIN
     because the socket buffer has filled up

Correct?

That sounds like migrate_fd_put_buffer() is being called repeatedly
while we know the socket isn't writable?

Shouldn't the buffered file could stop attempting to call put_buffer()
until it has been notified that the underlying fd is writable?

There are two fds here:
The one returning EAGAIN, is the migration socket. That's why migrate_fd_put_buffer is called and a call back is rescheduled by qemu_set_fd_handler2.

In the procedure of qemu_set_fd_handler2, the main_loop_break is called. It needs to notify the iothread. It does is by qemu_eventfd, since it is being emulated on older kernels, we use a pipe.

The pipe fd is the one that blocks.
I though of setting it to non-blocking but we might get partial writes with a non blocking fd (in theory) too.

Cheers,
Mark.