Mouse and keyboard handling on the VNC console

I'm not sure if I'm having VNC trouble, or KVM trouble.

I'm using vinagre as my VNC client, connecting to localhost.  Usually
I use TightVNC but Avi says it's broken, and it sure won't attach to a
QEMU server.

Both work fine if I connect to one of my own VNC servers (Linux).

Against a KVM console, mouse movement is erratic.  My console captures
the mouse, so I can't move it out of the window, but the far-side
pointer will freeze as though it's hitting the edge of a screen
(possibly because the near-side pointer actually is hitting the edge
of my vinagre window).  Sometimes by releasing the mouse and
recapturing, I can dance it around to the right part of the screen,
and sometimes not.

My arrow keys work sometimes.  For instance, during the setup of a
Solaris 10 guest, they work up to the point where I'm asked to choose
the file system type, and then they stop.  I was able to use the tab
key in some cases, but only to tab forward -- "shift-tab" doesn't
index backward, and if the OS installer doesn't happen to roll past
the end to the beginning of a list of fields, I'm stuck.

Now I'm trying to install a Windows guest, and the arrow keys don't
work at all.  tab and shift-tab both work as expected, but in cases
where the arrow keys are needed, like choosing the time zone, I'm
sunk.

Any idea what might be going on here?  Some other VNC client that
might work better, or a setting I can change somewhere?