Re: R/W HG memory mappings with kvm?

Stephen Donnelly wrote:
On Thu, Jul 9, 2009 at 6:01 PM, Cam Macdonell<cam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Is there a corresponding qemu patch for the backend to the guest pci
driver?
Oops right.   For some reason I can't my driver patch in patchwork.

http://kerneltrap.org/mailarchive/linux-kvm/2009/5/7/5665734

Thanks for the link, I have read through the thread now. It seems very
relevant to what I am doing. Have you found a link to your qemu-kvm
backend patches? Or are you running your own git tree? I don't really
know where to look.

Oops, I realize now that I passed the driver patch both times. Here is the old patch.

http://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/22363/

What are you compiling against? the git tree or a particular version? The above patch won't compile against the latest git tree due to changes to how BARs are setup in Qemu. I can send you a patch for the latest tree if you need it.

Cam

I'm curious how the buffer memory is allocated and how BAR
accesses are handled from the host side.
The memory for the device allocated as a POSIX shared memory object and then
mmapped on to the allocated BAR region in Qemu's allocated memory.  That's
actually one spot that needs a bit of fixing by passing the already
allocated memory object to qemu instead of mmapping on to it.

Right, I would be passing the memory in pre-allocated as well, but
should be a relatively simple change.

Regards,
Stephen.