Re: [KVM_AUTOTEST][RFC] pre_command chaining

----- "Lukáš Doktor" <ldoktor@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> the way how kvm_autotest currently handle pre_command/post_command it
> don't allow to specify more than one command. BASH can handle this
> itself with a small change in the framework , as shown in the
> attachment.

Why do you say the framework doesn't allow chaining pre_commands?
What's wrong with:
pre_command = "command0"
pre_command += " && command1"
pre_command += " && command2"

> In .cfg file we just change variable from:
>   pre_command = "command"
> to:
>   pre_commane += "command &&"
> produce:
>   $(command && true)
>
> Framework adds the last command true, which enclose whole command.
> This
> way we can chain infinite pre/post_commands without losing the return
>
> value (if something go wrong, other commands are not executed and
> return
> value is preserve.
>
> example:
> in cfg:
>   pre_command += "echo A &&"
>   pre_command += "echo B &&"
>   pre_command += "echo C &&"
> framework params.get("pre_command"):
>   "echo A && echo B && echo C &&"
> framework process_command execute on the host:
>   "echo A && echo B && echo C && true"
>
> regards,
> Lukáš Doktor

In any case, the proposed solution does not allow the user to use
pre_command in the most straightforward way:
pre_command = "command"
because that would get translated into:
"command true"
So the user must append && to the command, which makes little sense.

There could be other solutions, like

1. Specifying "pre_command = true" at the top of the config file, and
then using:
pre_command += " && command0"
pre_command += " && command1"

"pre_command = command" will also work fine in this case.

2. Removing the final "&&" from the command, if any, so that if the
user enters:
pre_command = "command0 &&"
pre_command += "command1 &&"
the framework will run:
"command0 && command1" instead of "command0 && command1 &&".

In any case, can you provide an example where it's impossible or
difficult to do command chaining without changing the framework?