Re: need developer for small project

On Sun, Jun 09, 2019 at 11:24:19AM -0700, ivo welch wrote:
> I would like to hire someone to do some open source surgery.
> specifically, I would like someone to modify the disk driver to allow
> me to add some basic standalone hooks.  every time a guest wants to
> read or write a sector to the drive, I want my own C routines on the
> host to be called.  my C routines, in a separate standalone file,
> should have the ability to do such things as log the request, rewrite
> the request (e.g., write to a different sector and/or use my own
> hashing encryption/decryption etc), and/or tell the disk driver not to
> execute the request but return an error.  ideally, I don't need to
> learn kvm internals, but get a standalone template with example use.
> comp negotiable.

Take a look at nbdkit (https://github.com/libguestfs/nbdkit).  You don't
need to learn QEMU or KVM internals.  Run an NBD server and use it as
the disk for the guest.  You are in full control of the NBD server (for
example, by writing an nbdkit plugin) and can therefore implement the
things you've described.

I'm just pointing you at this because it may already do what you need.
I'm not available for contracting.

Good luck,
Stefan